Our Mission & Values
Our Mission: Unlikely Partners Taking Shared Risks to Renew Our Community for Christ’s Sake.
- Unlikely Partners — Bringing together folks from differentÂ backgrounds, classes, and walks to work together for a common community good..
- Taking Shared Risks — Everyone puts some skin in the game at South Street, together we risk our finances, safety, and selves to see lives and communities restored.
- To Renew Our Community — We desire to see South Akron andÂ Summit Lake as good places to live for all people, with safeÂ streets, viable jobs, close grocery stores, and good friends.
- For Christ’s Sake — We are Christians, but Christ’s sake is deeper. For the sake of Christ we suffer, serve, give, and lose to see Christ formed in our neighbor and in ourselves.
Our Values: South Street Ministries is a member of the Christian Community Development Association. We try our best to practice and live John Perkins’ “3 R’s of Community Development”:
- Relocation: Moving to the broken and downtrodden places, making our home there, and seeking the good of that place alongside our neighbors.
- Reconciliation: Making things right between ourselves and God, our neighbors, black and white, rich and poor, Jew and gentile, male and female.
- Redistribution: Sharing of our abundance with those who have less, and recognizing the worth that ‘the other’ has to offer.