If you’ve ever lived in Akron, you know the weather can turn on a dime! Within the course of a week (or even a single day) it is not unheard of to experience summer sun, sleet, fog, winter frost, cold rain, and warm spring showers!
Akronites maintain a certain capacity to roll with the weather. It’s a learned skill of living in Northeast Ohio. At South Street Ministries, there is a spiritual equivalent — our days in ministry are often spent in a broad range of places and peoples:
- training a group of suburban volunteers to engage the city respectfully
- conversing with and assisting someone recently released from prison
- interacting with neighborhood youth in community garden plots
- talking with the philanthropic community about neighborhood development.
- speaking at churches about God’s heart for those that are down-trodden.
Perhaps the varied weather of Akron has prepared us for the varied forms of service and ministry seen daily at South Street Ministries!